If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Jobs

Introductions and off-topic chatter

Moderator: stenoknight

salva

Jobs

Postby salva » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi! If I were to get into say, working from home as a stenographer transcribing t.v. shows, etc., would I be able to use the keyboard and plover to do that kind of work? Or would I have to get a steno machine for that?

stenoknight
Site Admin

Re: Jobs

Postby stenoknight » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:27 am

For offline work (general transcription, medical transcription, pre-recorded TV shows, etc), Plover with a compatible qwerty keyboard (such as the SideWinder or Majestouch) and laser-cut keys works great. I wouldn't advise using it for live captioning or CART at this point; it's just a little too unfinished still for that. When we improve the spelling orthography and add the just-in-time dictionary entry feature, Plover will become more realtime ready, but I'd still advise upgrading to a real steno machine for any live work. The qwerty keyboard solution definitely involves a slight to moderate decrease in speed and accuracy compared to a real machine.

geoff

Postby geoff » Wed May 25, 2016 5:00 pm

I am just getting started with plover and stenography in general. I believe I have recently read that plover has a just-in-time dictionary now -- please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know how the orthography is coming along. Do you think real time transcription would be possible now with a keyboard like the StenoBoard or the Soft/HRUF? (I know -- I'm not ready!)

stenoknight
Site Admin

Postby stenoknight » Thu May 26, 2016 2:54 am

Absolutely. I've been using Plover professionally every day with my Infinity Ergonomic, and I really do think I could do it with my Planck as well. The SOFT/HRUF also seems like it could be used for realtime, though I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet.

Return to “Ploverites United”