If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Home-made maker-friendly steno hardware

Getting Plover up and running

Moderator: stenoknight

ShermT

Home-made maker-friendly steno hardware

Postby ShermT » Wed May 11, 2016 7:08 am

I just thought I'd share a picture of my home-made steno keyboard, now I've finally got a full set of keycaps for it. At the moment it looks like this:

It's based on the circuit for Stenoboard, so it can use StenoFW directly, but I've made it using the Matias Quiet Linear switches, and wired them to stripboard using flying leads. The case and the circuit can be completely separated without unsoldering anything, so the idea is that I can mess it around, change the case and see what works.

The key caps are 3D printed (on a variety of different machines, which is why some of the keys are different colours; there's no logic to that otherwise) and the case is done in a CAD program (Fusion 360) and can be laser cut. This cardboard proto version was actually done with printed-out templates and a craft knife, because my theory that I could always get access to a laser cutter turns out to be untrue in Auckland... but when I sort that out, I'm planning to try some variations in key spacing and location. I'm also planning to draw up the circuit in Fritzing, so those who want to make it up in stripboard have a guide, and then when I've got a configuration I like, I'm aiming to draw up (and try and make) a maker-friendly PCB.

It seems to work fine, but since my peak speed is about 20 wpm right now, I may not be giving it a good test... so, any feedback on the shape and set-up would be appreciated!

stenoknight
Site Admin

Re: Home-made maker-friendly steno hardware

Postby stenoknight » Thu May 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Aw! That looks great! Excellent job, friend. :'D

charles.shattuck

Postby charles.shattuck » Thu May 12, 2016 10:36 pm

Beautiful! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it!

ShermT

Postby ShermT » Tue May 17, 2016 3:00 am

Thanks! It would be great to have some more experienced steno users have a go and see what they think, but I'm not sure how this could be best arranged...

chauser

Postby chauser » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:46 am

Serial1-forweb.jpg
Serial1-forweb.jpg (82.96 KiB) Viewed 1767 times

Following in ShermT's tradition I've been working on design for a keyboard I call the the Volksboard with the goal of producing something that could be replicated with only hand tools, a soldering iron, and a few hours time and at very low cost ($25-$35). I've built 2 (Serial #0 and Serial #1) so far and the design continues to evolve. There are instructions available: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f9g5ClvySoVBOnJzF_X80j66RdHbnakePKb2xWS5gLM/edit?usp=sharing and firmware based on the Stenoboard FW that Emanuele has made available (https://github.com/chauser/StenoFW).
Before I embark on building my 3rd instance I would like to get some feedback from experienced steno keyboard users about the switch spacing and size of the keytops. In the boards built so far the keys are 20mm apart horizontally and 17.5mm apart vertically. The keytops fill up this space with 1-2mm gaps between the keys. After using these boards for very basic practice, I think some changes need to be made, especially reducing the keytop size. If someone who has a board that they like would post the key spacing (both horizontal and vertical) and the keytop size that they find comfortable, I will try those out when I build Serial #2.

Return to “Installation”