If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Can someone explain the * key?

Exercises, drills, and games.

Moderator: stenoknight

ipe369

Can someone explain the * key?

Postby ipe369 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:56 pm

Hey.

Normally I'd google something like this, but this is a pretty niche community and I keep getting links to the RSPB, so I'll have to ask here -

I have no idea what the * key is meant to do. It seems to be some kind of general case disam big ew ate or *disables plover* - It seems to be some kind of general case disambiguator for most words. For example, the word 'safer' can be stroked with SAEUFR, but the word 'savor' must be stroked the same with an *. Whenever I can't figure out the correct output for a word, looking it up in the dictionary provides a tonne of answers, most of which involve the *.

How can I use *, and when should I? If I can't get a word, should I just try to stick a * in there every time?

Thanks a bunch<3

Tom.

Achim63

Re: Can someone explain the * key?

Postby Achim63 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:21 am

In most theories, the * changes the right hand "f" to "v" (also in Magnum, but there it can also mean "-ive"). For Magnum (I don't remember if it's used the same in Plover's dictionary), "*T" stands for "-th" and "*S" for "-st". And as you already found out, it's often used to disambiguate and for briefs (but not in your example, which goes by the theory rules).

ipe369

Re: Can someone explain the * key?

Postby ipe369 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Damn dude, thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

Should have read the wiki more carefully *sigh*

Return to “Practice”