If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

A couple questions about job opportunities via Plover

Why learn steno? Applications and aspirations.

Moderator: stenoknight

olorin87

A couple questions about job opportunities via Plover

Postby olorin87 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:54 pm

Hey All,

I just started using Plover to learn steno about a week ago, and have been having a blast! I did have a couple questions though.

Has anyone successfully used their Plover skills to get a job as some sort of transcriptionist? If so, what was your experience?

Also, I am thinking of taking a year off from my normal job (of software engineering), and was wondering if it's possible to get a part-time transcriptionist job while working and travelling remotely?

Thanks all! :)

stenoknight
Site Admin

Re: A couple questions about job opportunities via Plover

Postby stenoknight » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:26 pm

The good news is that there's a ton of transcription work out there. The bad news is that it doesn't pay very well at all. If you've got a job as a software engineer, the amount of money that transcriptionists make would probably come as a big shock. Realtime transcription (aka realtime captioning, what I do) pays extremely well, but offline transcription... Not so much.

Most transcription jobs are not full-time or part-time but freelance, with rates ranging from .70 to .90 cents per audio minute when working for transcription firms; $1 to $1.75 a minute when working directly with clients (cutting out the middleman). But of course when you work with a firm you can usually get as much work as you want, but if you work directly with clients, you have to cultivate all of those business relationships directly, and it's often a feast or famine type of situation.

strickvl

Postby strickvl » Sat May 28, 2016 4:06 pm

So in terms of career opportunities or things that pay really well, you're saying we'd be better off aiming for real-time transcription?

stenoknight
Site Admin

Postby stenoknight » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:14 pm

Yep, realtime transcription pays double or triple, on a per-minute basis, than offline does. If you can do it well, you'll be highly in demand and often able to set your own prices. There's a lot more competition and lowballing in the offline world.

Return to “Why steno?”